Sunday, April 12, 2009

Life Outside of Baby

Just a couple of pictures to let you guys know there is more to life than just Ahnika for Jaci and myself right now (not very much, but something is better than nothing).....

Sunday mornings, Jaci and I get up and go out and read the Sunday newspaper on our back covered patio (I read the paper, Jaci clips coupons & Ahnika, so far, just likes to make odd noises)....

Last week, we had quite a few thunderstorms that came through the area, bringing heavy rains (amongst other things - got to spend 1 1/2 hours in a designated "safe" zone at work due to Tornados in the area), anyways, the heavy rain washed away alot of dirt and mulch in a flower bed on the side of the house (on a pretty good slope).

Rather than replace the lost dirt and mulch (since they would inevitably wash away again), I decided to put down rock in the flower bed and only use mulch around the base of the plants).

Initially, I thought the project would be pretty easy as I laid out the weedfabric around the plants. But when I realized that one truck load of rock wasn't nearly enough, I realized that my project budget was going to increase in magnitude.

The picture below was taken by Jaci after I had put down 1 truck load of rock (looks alittle bare).

And in the next picture, I am hiding from Jaci as she is asking me where the rest of the rock is (hauling and unloading 1 truckload of rock yourself is alot of work, no way was I going back for more, especially since I needed about 4x as much more rock).

So I called the landscaping place and bit the bullet and had them deliver 2 cat scoops more of rock to the house (around 2 cubic yards of rock). Also, notice in the background, the beautiful, made from scratch cedar planter......... Pictures to come later on when the Jackson Perkins roses are blooming..
And less than 48 hours later, the project is done (and a glowing success). The rock will hold the mulch in place around the plantes & tree and allow water to drain on the side of the house out of the planter bed, without taking the dirt and mulch with it...

No comments: